Thursday, May 20, 2021

PCR Covid Testing Seronera - Serengeti

PCR COVID TESTING SERONERA SERENGETI

The sign says 8:00 but apparently they are there from 7:30am


Here's the link for the Ministry of Health Portal

https://pimacovid.moh.go.tz/#/booking

We arrived at 10:20am so I was already resigned that the test would not make it out today.

**tests taken before 9:30am are sent out once daily on the 10:30am flight to Arusha**

 Fortunately I had an extra day in hand to play with so not too stressed by that. 

The testing area is just a couple of minutes drive from the airstrip and was very quiet with the morning rush (if there was one) already passed.

The facility consists of hand-washing stations and 4 or 5 tents, the main two being:

  •  The Waiting Area with colorful seats shaded by a canopy


   

  • The Sample Collection Tent where a friendly young man took all my details down meticulously in a large ledger 



The doctor then appeared and I sat in the sample chair in a little alcove while he swabbed my mouth (mostly under my tongue) for about 10 seconds.



The doctor was very friendly and happy to pose for his picture even suggesting we should take a second one showing him putting the sample into the tube!

Notes
The detail-taker asked me several times the time/date of my departure flight (6:50pm Tuesday) and told me the result would be ready by 4pm on Tuesday – seems they are saying ready by 4pm the day after the sample goes to Arusha. I asked if there was any way to get your results faster to which he replied “Yes there is” in that kind of ‘maybe’ way …..and gave me a phone number for the lab – I took this to mean that from his end there isn’t a fast option but if you call the lab (or have someone who speaks Swahili call them) it may be possible for them to speed up your result.

Here’s my personal time-line

· Sample taken at 10:30am Sunday 16th (sample missed the Sunday flight to Arusha)

·  Sample goes to Arusha on 10:30am flight Monday 17th

·  Result predicted by 4pm Tuesday 18th

· Actual Result and certificate received via email (and on portal) 8:55am Tuesday 18th

·  Certificate dated Tuesday 18th

Two more factors I think worth noting on this:

1. The volume of tests (from tourists) in mid-May is presumably very low so the sample process and result window may well be slower as the number of visitors increases.

2.  The certificate date being the lab processing date does help achieve the right timing.

Rapid Testing – Kilimanjaro Airport

One last side-note – I was approached by a friendly taxi-driver at Kilimanjaro who asked if I needed a rapid test – said it was just 2 minutes away and he could take me. Since I had not managed to get on wifi at this point so did not know that my PCR test was already processed I put this offer in my back pocket as a back-up plan – luckily not needed but worth noting for those travelling to US since a rapid test is also accepted for entry.

*** Disclaimer I have no verified info on that at this point other than a friendly taxi-driver …. will update if I learn more***

8 comments:

  1. Would you share the cost of the test you took at Seronera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - Nomad actually booked and paid for the test on my behalf - I paid them $120.

      Delete
    2. I don't know why my blog doesn't recognise me but this is Ellie BTW 😂

      Delete
  2. My fiance and I will be getting tested at this site as well. We are unable to find it as one of the 'trusted labs' on the Panabios trusted traveler network and are nervous we may be unable to use this test to transit through Kenya despite this being a government-sponsored testing facility. We were wondering what laboratory name shows up on your test result?

    ReplyDelete
  3. the certificate states "National Public Health Laboratory" and comes on Tanzania Ministry of Health letterhead - stamped and signed at airport on departure.
    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ellie! Just curious: is the COVID test one of the ones that goes waaay up almost into your brain? Or just a swab in the lower part of your nose? Just trying to prepare for the pain level!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ellie!

    Quick question: was the test one of the waaay up to your brain swabs? Or one where they swab the lower part of your nostril? Just trying to mentally prepare for the pain level!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steph, I'm guessing it depends on the doctor but my experience was not bad - somewhere in the middle of your 2 scenarios - and very quick!
    Hope that helps
    Ellie😊

    ReplyDelete

Day Twelve - Farewell Serengeti - the journey home - KIA lodge

So the day has come and it’s time to say goodbye to the Serengeti for now – what an incredible 12 days! We drove Dunia to Seronera, on the...